Skip to main content

Boreal Community Media

County Buildings Accessibility During COVID 19

Dec 10, 2020 03:51PM ● By Editor
From Cook County MN - December 10, 2020

Court Administration is open from 8-4 daily for walk-in needs. All other visits to county buildings are by appointment only. Please contact the below listed departments to schedule an appointment.

For assistance, please visit or contact us at (218) 387-3650. You can also email us at:
• Robert Thompson, County Assessor [email protected]
• Rachel Espe, Assistant County Assessor [email protected]
• John Denney, Assessor’s Appraiser [email protected]
• Alex Murray, Appraiser Trainee [email protected]

• For crime victim services, contact Leah Ekstrom, (218) 387-3669 or [email protected]
• Requests for Discovery: E-file and serve a discovery request, or contact Jeffrey Morck, (218) 387-3670
• For data requests, please use the Data Request Form on and call (218) 387-3670 with questions
All other county attorney inquiries can be directed to [email protected] or through our general phone line, (218) 387-3670.

For assistance with voter registration, election filing or property tax information call (218) 387-3640.
• Property Tax Information 218-387-3640 [email protected]
• Accounts Payable: 218-387-3641 [email protected]
• Lodging Tax Payments 218-387-3644 [email protected]
• Election filing 218-387-3643 [email protected]
• Voter Registration 218-387-3640 [email protected]
• Liquor Licensing & Gambling Permits 218-387-3645 [email protected]
• Other Inquiries 218-387-3646 [email protected]

Our buildings and offices are available by appointment only during the COVID-19 pandemic.
For assistance, please contact the following:
• General assistance for building rentals / programs, etc. call 218-387-3015 or email:
• Extension information, programs, services, contact [email protected]

If you are representing yourself in a court case and need help with court forms or court information, there are a few ways to get help:
• Visit the Minnesota Judicial Branch website at to find basic information on over 40 common legal topics, court forms, videos and tutorials, and more. You can also try the Self-Help Center at
• Find eFiling information at For help, call the eFile Support Center at (612) 902-9585 or (844) 918-1724* (*if calling long distance from a landline phone)
• Self-Help Center (651) 435-6535
• Carlton (218) 384-9578
• Cook (218) 387-3610
• Lake (218) 834-8330
• SLC – Duluth (218) 726-2460
• SLC – Hibbing (218) 262-0105
• SLC – Virginia (218) 471-7106

For assistance with E-911 Physical Addressing or other inquiries with Emergency Management
• Mike Keyport, Emergency Management Director [email protected] or (218) 387-

Residents needing to report road conditions or apply for permits are advised to call (218) 387-3014 for customer service or visit the department's webpage.

Apply online at For questions regarding applications or other services, please call Pamela Dixon, HR Director at (218) 387-3676, or email [email protected]

E-permitting applications and vacation rental licensing are available online. You may call the main line at (218) 387-3630. Please use this number as a main form of contact. When calling, please leave a message so that your call can be forwarded to the correct staff member. Messages will be checked throughout the day. You can also email staff at:

• Diana Lindquist, Land Services Secretary [email protected]
• Mitchell Everson, Environmental Health Officer [email protected]
• Joseph Routh, Stormwater/Enforcement Officer/VRBO Administrator [email protected]
• Mitch Travis, Land Use Specialist MN Wetland Conservation Act LGU [email protected]
• Bill Lane, Zoning Administrator [email protected]
• Tim Nelson, Director [email protected]

Health Care and Economic Assistance Programs
• Apply online for cash assistance, Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), childcare or emergency assistance:
• Apply online for Medical Assistance (MA) and other MN health care programs:
• For questions about public assistance or health care programs:
o Call: (218) 387-3620
• To submit a paper application, renewal form or verifications:
o Fax: (218) 387-3020
o Mail: Cook County Public Health and Human Services, 411 W. 2nd Street Grand Marais, MN
o A drop box is also located on the at the west entrance and at the ramp on the north end of the Cook County courthouse

Social Services
• Schedule a phone meeting with a social worker
o Call: (218) 387-3620 during business hours (8 a.m.-4 p.m. M-F)
• Make a report of suspected adult maltreatment: (844) 880-1574
• Make a report of suspected child maltreatment: call (218) 387-3620 to speak with the intake worker
(8 a.m.-4 p.m. M-F) or Cook County Sheriff’s office at (218) 387-3030 (after hours and on weekends)
• After business hours, contact local law enforcement or dial 911 in an emergency
• Contact the behavioral health crisis line at (218) 628-1800 or text MN to 741741
Public Health
• Call: (218) 387-3605
• Information on COVID-19 in Cook County Online:
General information
• Call: (218) 387-3620

Probation clients should follow the instructions of their assigned probation agent. General inquiries from the public may be made by phone to (218) 387-3672.

• Recordings: Title companies can call ahead, and staff will meet them at the door to accept documents for recording. The general public can mail documents to us for recording
• Vital Records (birth and death records): These can be applied for by mail. You can obtain an
application on the Recorder’s Office website at Application needs to be
completed, notarized and returned to us, along with a fee of $26.00 (check or money order only). Once received, these are processed in an expeditious manner
• Marriage Licenses: Call for instructions on how to obtain license. Only check, money order or cash is accepted at this time
• Military Discharge: Call for instructions on how to obtain a copy
• Real Estate Documents: Most documents from 1950 to present can be accessed by going to for a minimal fee. You can access documents right from your computer and pay with a credit card/ Please call to find out the cost for copies. You can mail the fee to the Recorder’s Office. Once it is received, the requested documents will be sent to you. You can reach the Recorder’s Office at (218) 387-3060 or (218) 387- 3061.

A Permit to Purchase must be dropped off in person. To do this, call and schedule an appointment. Permits to Purchase are only being accepted Mon - Fri from 8am – 4pm. For all other services please call or email with the information provided below.
• Main 218-387-3030
• Emergency 911
• Sheriff Cell 218-387-5123
• Chief Deputy Cell 218-387-5156


For assistance, call (218) 387-3647 (main office line) or call or email us directly:
• Ilena Hansel, District Manager [email protected] (218-387-3648)
• Theresa Oberg, District Administrator [email protected] (218-387-3647)
• Phil Larson, Conservation Technician [email protected] (218-387-3649)
• Michaela Clingaman, Conservation Technician [email protected] (218-387-3651)
• Amanda Weberg, Aquatic Invasive Species Coordinator [email protected] (608-295-8694)

Veterans Services can be completed by phone. The office will remain open normal operating hours of Monday through Thursday from 0800 to 1600 and Fridays from 0800 to 1300. For questions and assistance, please call (218) 387-3639 or 218-264-9092 or email [email protected] Please include your phone number in your email.
Upcoming Events Near You
Boreal Ship Spotter - larger view here