Profiles in Service: Cook County Community Foundation salutes The North Shore Collaborative
Oct 11, 2020 11:08AM
Photos: North Shore Collaborative
From the Cook County Community Foundation - October 11, 2020
The Arrowhead region of Northeastern Minnesota is blessed to having many passionate and dedicated non-profit organizations that work hard to enhance the lives of the people who live here. This month, the Cook County Community Foundation is partnering with Boreal Community Media to salute many of its past grant recipients and how they have put those dollars to work to help make our community a better place to live.
You can make a difference too – make your tax deductible donation to the Cook County Community Foundation by sending your check to Cook County Community Fund, P.O. Box 763, Grand Marais, MN 55604 or by following this link to make an on-line donation: https://www.dsacommunityfoundation.org/donate?id=1702
LEARNING OPPORTUNITIES THROUGH STORIES PROGRAM FROM THE NORTH SHORE COLLABORATIVE
By Trisha Scamehorn, Executive Assistant, Lake County Health and Human Services Coordinator, North Shore Collaborative
Learning Opportunities Through Stories (LOTS) is an evidence-based early childhood family literacy program utilizing a curriculum designed by Sandy Taenzer, an early childhood expert, and the skills of local early childhood teachers. The program is recognized nationally for its success in addressing early childhood care and education with the goal of ensuring school success.
Due to the pandemic, LOTS was offered this summer by families picking up book and activity bags versus the in-person sessions we usually offer. Your generous donation made it possible to offer a successful program by our distributing 351 books in Grand Marais and Tofte and 168 books in Grand Portage! Overall, 1,203 books were distributed along the North Shore. We offered a variety of books so children get excited about reading, learn to use their imagination and getting them to try new things-like camping!
Here are some of the comments that we received on the program:
- "We read books we might not otherwise picked out-variety is awesome; enjoyed activities"
- "I learned to have more interaction with my baby and reading time..."
- "I learned to continue to read to my children every day; this is such a great program-thank you!"
- "It’s a special night to read as a family; amazing program-the best offering in Lake County! Please continue in the future."
- "LOTS help me teach my children the importance of reading; hoping LOTS will continue"
- "LOTS builds excitement for books!"
- "Books are magical and really do bring families together; love this program! We look forward to LOTS all week. Getting to pick up a special book each week that we read over and over again is a real treat for my kids."
- "I learned that variety is important since it gives a child new topics to explore; it was a nice variety of books."