Schedule of events for the Lake Superior Storm Festival
Nov 02, 2019 09:41AM
There’s nothing quite like a November gale — wind howling, icy waves lashing the rocks, a shiver of awe running down your spine. Treat yourself to a storm-season retreat before the bedlam of the holidays begins. This event honors the power and wild beauty of the Big Lake. Why not hop in the car and join us for the Lake Superior Storm Festival this year?
Weekend Long Activities:
The Grand Marais Playhouse presents its annual Community Youth Play. This fishy fable will capture your heart with its irresistible songs including “Under the Sea”, “Kiss the Girl”, and “Part of Your World”.
Friday & Saturday 7 – 9 pm
Sunday 2 – 4 pm
Tickets: $12 Adult, $5 Youth, $3 Child
Friday, November 8:
Celebrate Storm Season at Stone harbor Wilderness Supply in Grand Marais:
- Sip on Wild State Cider and munch on eats and treats from Voyageur Brewing Company and the Gunflint Mercantile
- Shop through a locally curated craft market including Hannah Palma Ceramics, Ebenezer Stone Jewelry, Chelsea’s Aprons and more!
- Enjoy an equipment and fashion show–all the best gear to get your ready to play in the snow available at Stone Harbor from name brands like Nemo, Outdoor Research, Marmot, Icebreaker and Altai.
7 – 8 pm | Small Change Call-In Triva Show on WTIP Community Radio
Try and answer tricky Lake Superior and storm themed questions. Tune in on 90.7 FM or go to WTIP.org for live streaming. Call 218. 387. 1070 with your answers!
Saturday, November 9:
10 am | Wave Dash Festivities
Lutsen Resort, Lutsen
Start celebrating Storm Festival with activities, crafts and more at Lutsen Resort!
- Register for the Annual Lutsen Resort Wave Dash
- Participate in water themed crafts like “Tie-Dye a Lake Superior Design” or “Make a DIY Wave Lamp”
- Sip hot cocoa or house crafted mulled wine by a beach bonfire with live music
- Take a commemorative Polaroid picture
11:30 am | Carin Stacking Contest
Lutsen Resort Beach, Lutsen
Race other participants to see who can build the tallest tower of rocks on the Lutsen Resort Beach
12 pm | Annual Lutsen Resort Wave Dash
Lutsen Resort, Lutsen
Charge head first into the icy waters of Superior in heats of 4 – 6 people! An annual tradition that will give you bragging rights for the rest of the year, so don’t forget to get your picture taken! After you dash warm up in the Lutsen Resort hot tub and enjoy some hot cocoa or mulled wine!
Prizes awarded to Dasher for:
- Best Dressed
- Most Grateful Entry to the Lake
4 pm | Storms, Shipwrecks & Sinkings Presentation
JHP Art Gallery, Grand Marais
Featured speaker and local historian Jim Shinners hosts a conversation on the notorious and memorable shipwrecks of Lake Superior and more at the Johnson Heritage Post Art Gallery.
Sunday, November 10:
10 am | Lakeside Poem & Remembrance Ceremony
Artist Point, Grand Marais
Join Jim Shinners in Grand Marais in honor of those lost at sea on the anniversary of the sinking of the Edmund Fitzgerald.
To learn more, follow this link to the Visit Cook County website. https://www.visitcookcounty.com/event/lake-superior-storm-festival/