Newly constructed northbound I-35 lanes in Duluth to open October 1Sep 29, 2022 09:39AM ● By Content Editor
From the Minnesota Department of Transportation - September 29, 2022
Newly constructed northbound lanes of I-35 will open to traffic on/or around October 1, in Duluth. Current northbound traffic will shift over to the new lanes and the northbound on-ramp from 27th Avenue West will open.
Current southbound I-35 traffic will remain on the lower Michigan Street Bypass until October 17th and will then be routed onto the new southbound pavement.
This project is part of the larger Twin Ports Interchange project.
Once completed, this project will enhance safety by eliminating blind merges and left exits, replace aging infrastructure, and better accommodate freight movements through the interchanges next to the Clure Public Terminal.
Summary of work
Reconstruct I-35/I-535/Hwy 53 interchange to improve safety by:
- Providing a new conventional design
- Relocating all exits and entrances to the right side of the roadway
- Improving merging sight distance and eliminating merge conflicts
- Eliminating weaving problems near the interchange
- Providing lane continuity for through I-35 traffic
To read this original story and more news, follow this link to the MnDOT News website.