Cold Front February is coming backJan 16, 2021 10:28AM ● By Editor
From WDIO-TV - February 15, 2021
The cold front is coming... and we're not talking about the weather!
Organizers are gearing up for the annual Cold Front February, making it's pandemic-debut in Bayfront Festival Park.
In the best interest of public health and safety, this year's activities will be more spread out over the course of a week, all to encourage people to get outside and embrace the spirit of the colder months!
Some activities this year will require registration ahead of time. Organizers say all events will be held in accordance with health and safety guidelines put forth by the Minnesota Department of Health.
- Saturday, February 6th: Dog Sledding with Silver Creek Sled Dogs from Time slots 10 a.m. – noon, 12:45-1:45 p.m. Dog sledding with Silver Creek Sled Dogs is back again this year at Bayfront Park! Due to popularity and to provide equitable opportunity to participate, registrations will be done via lottery. Those wishing to participate must complete the Dog Sled lottery sign up before Tuesday, February 2 at 4 p.m. You will be notified by Parks and Recreation by Thursday at 4 p.m. if you have been randomly selected to participate. There will be no walk-ups allowed. Participants with a reserved spot will receive arrival instructions upon confirmation.
- Sunday, February 7th: Yeti Hunt from 10 a.m.-6 p.m. A Yeti is on the loose in a Duluth city park and we need your help to find it! Starting at 10 am, clues will be released hourly on our Facebook and Instagram (@DuluthParksMN) leading participants to the correct park. At the park, participants must find and take a photo with/of the Yeti (don't give away the location!) and post it to social media or email to Parks to be entered in a drawing to win a prize. Prize includes a Yeti coffee mug and Parks &Recreation merchandise. Use #ColdFront2021 to double your drawing entries!
- Monday, February 8th: Citywide Snow-building Extravaganza. Put your creativity and snow-sculpting skills to the test in your local park! Photos of creations shared to Parks social media or emailed to Parks will be entered in a drawing to win a prize. Use #ColdFront2021 to double your drawing entries!
- Tuesday, February 9th: Winter Wonderland Equipment Pop Up from 3-7 p.m. At Enger Park Golf Course, Parks & Recreation will provide snowshoes, sleds, disc golf discs, and headlamps for people to check out for free and use on the golf course and disc golf course. Participants must register in advance for an hour time slot to ensure appropriate gathering size and allow for equipment availability. Registration opens on Monday February 1st at 6 p.m.
- Wednesday, February 10th: Agents of Discovery from 1-7 p.m. NEW Program! Parks & Recreation is excited to launch Agents of Discovery, a free educational app for your smart device that will bring GPS-based adventures to local parks all year long! Staff will be on hand to get you started, explain how it works, and answer questions as you try our first detective 'Mission' around Bayfront Park! Bring a smart phone or device; WiFi will be provided for downloading the Agents of Discovery app (does not require WiFi or data once downloaded). Activities within the app will be designed for families with youth ages 6-14.
- Thursday, February 11th: Luminary Walk from 5-8 p.m. Enjoy a peaceful candle-lit walk along the Lakewalk between Canal Park and Fitger's.
- Friday, February 12th: BAE-front Valentine's Skate from 3-7 p.m. Head down to Bayfront Family Center's ice rink during our weekday open hours for this year's Bae-front Valentine's Skate. Activities will include a love song playlist on the sound system, a take-home Valentine's Day craft (whiles supplies last), and a themed picture frame photobooth.
- Cold Front Special: Date Night! Register online for childcare (youth ages 5-12) from 5-7 p.m. Parents/guardians can skate, walk, or snowshoe (equipment provided) on their own while Parks staff takes kids to do activities like sledding and winter games. Limited space available; $5/child, registration required. Registration opens on Monday February 1st at 6 p.m.
To see the original post and read related articles, follow this link to the WDIO-TV website. https://www.wdio.com/duluth-minnesota-news/cold-front-february-2021/5979400/?cat=10335