Skip to main content

Boreal Community Media

Updated List of County Services During the COVID-19 Restrictions to County Buildings

Mar 26, 2020 12:30PM ● By Editor

Media Release from Cook County Minnesota - March 26, 2020

The Cook County Board of Commissioners passed a resolution restricting public access to county buildings during the COVID-19 pandemic. During this time, the public can access county services for the following departments: 

The following list details public access to county buildings during the COVID-19 pandemic. Individuals are asked to check the county website,, for the latest updates, as this list is subject to change.


For assistance, please visit or contact us at (218) 387-3650. You can also email us at:


  • For crime victim services, contact Leah Ekstrom, (218) 387-3669 or [email protected]
  • Requests for Discovery: E-file and serve a discovery request, or contact Jeffrey Morck, (218) 387-3670 or [email protected]
  • For data requests, please use the Data Request Form on and call (218) 387-3670 with questions

All other county attorney inquiries can be directed to [email protected] or through our general phone line, (218) 387-3670.


For assistance with voter registration, election filing or property tax information call (218) 387-3640.

  • Property Tax Information                                           218-387-3640               [email protected]
  • Accounts Payable:                                                        218-387-3641               [email protected]
  • Lodging Tax Payments                                                 218-387-3644               [email protected]
  • Election filing                                                                 218-387-3643                [email protected]
  • Voter Registration                                                        218-387-3640               [email protected]
  • Liquor Licensing & Gambling Permits                      218-387-3645               [email protected]
  • Other Inquiries                                                               218-387-3646               [email protected]


The Community Center/Extension Office will be staffed and answering phone calls at 387-3015 or by email at [email protected].



If you are representing yourself in a court case and need help with court forms or court information, there are a few ways to get help:


  • Self-Help Center (651) 435-6535
  • Carlton (218) 384-9578
  • Cook (218) 387-3610
  • Lake (218) 834-8330
  • SLC – Duluth (218) 726-2460
  • SLC – Hibbing (218) 262-0105
  • SLC – Virginia (218) 471-7106



Residents needing to report road conditions or apply for permits are advised to call (218) 387-3014 for customer service or visit the department's webpage.


Apply online at For questions regarding applications or other services, please call (218) 387-3676, or email [email protected]  or [email protected].


E-permitting applications and vacation rental licensing are available online. You may call the main line at (218) 387-3630. Please use this number as a main form of contact. When calling, please leave a message so that your call can be forwarded to the correct staff member. Messages will be checked throughout the day. You can also email staff at:


Probation clients should follow the instructions of their assigned probation agent. General inquiries from the public may be made by phone to (218) 387-3672.


  • Health Care and Economic Assistance Programs
  • Apply online for cash assistance, Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), childcare or emergency assistance:
  • Apply online for Medical Assistance (MA) and other MN health care programs:
  • For questions about public assistance or health care programs:
  • To submit a paper application, renewal form or verifications:
    • Email: [email protected]
    • Fax: (218) 387-3020
    • Mail:  Cook County Public Health and Human Services, 411 W. 2nd Street Grand Marais, MN 55604
    • A drop box is also located on the ramp on the north end of the Cook County courthouse


Social Services

Schedule a phone meeting with a social worker
  • Call (218) 387-3620 during business hours (8 a.m.-4 p.m. M-F)

  • Make a report of suspected adult maltreatment: (844) 880-1574
    Make a report of suspected child maltreatment: call (218) 387-3620 to speak with the intake worker (8 a.m.-4 p.m. M-F) or Cook County Sheriff’s office at (218) 387-3030 (after hours and on weekends)
    After business hours, contact local law enforcement or dial 911 in an emergency
    Contact the behavioral health crisis line (218) 628-1800 or text MN to 741741

    General information


    • Recordings: Title companies can call ahead, and staff will meet them at the door to accept documents for recording. The general public can mail documents to us for recording
    • Vital Records (birth and death records): These can be applied for by mail. You can obtain an application on the Recorder’s Office website at Application needs to be completed, notarized and returned to us, along with a fee of $26.00 (check or money order only). Once received, these are processed in an expeditious manner
    • Marriage Licenses:  Call for instructions on how to obtain license. Only check, money order or cash is accepted at this time
    • Military Discharge: Call for instructions on how to obtain a copy
    • Real Estate Documents: Most documents from 1950 to present can be accessed by going to  for a minimal fee. You can access documents right from your computer and pay with a credit card

    Please call to find out the cost for copies. You can mail the fee to the Recorder’s Office. Once it is received, the requested documents will be sent to you. You can reach the Recorder’s Office at (218) 387-3060 or (218) 387-3061.


    The Recycling Center and Budget Shop are closed through April 10. Questions may be directed to 218-387-3630. Message will be checked throughout the day.


    A Permit to Carry application must be dropped off in person. To do this, call and schedule an appointment from 8 a.m.-4 p.m. Monday-Friday. Permits to Purchase are being accepted via mail or email. For all other services, please call or email utilizing the information provided below.


    • Main                                   218-387-3030
    • Emergency                         911
    • Sheriff Cell                         218-387-5123
    • Chief Deputy Cell             218-387-5156
    • Email:


    For assistance, call (218) 387-3648 or email us:


    Veterans Services can be completed by phone.  The office will remain open normal operating hours of Monday through Thursday from 0800 to 1600 and Fridays from 0800 to 1300. For questions and assistance, please call (218) 387-3639 or email [email protected]. Please include your phone number in your email. 

    Rena Rogers
    Interim County Administrator
    [email protected]
    218) 387-3687
    Upcoming Events Near You
    Boreal Ship Spotter - larger view here