Wooden Boat Show 2021
Live music, boat building, craft demonstrations, family activities, and more!
Summer's arrival in the North deserves to be celebrated! In this year of transition, we are planning to celebrate with gusto and safety. We will host the 2021 Wooden Boat Show both on campus, in person June 18-20 AND online June 3-25. Stay tuned: we will continue to shape our planning around the best safety practices available for our visitors, students, and staff. Community, craft, sparkling waters, northern adventures, and summer's light are at the heart of our efforts.
- Crafting on the Commons: Witness skilled traditional craft artisans as they join up in community over the weekend to celebrate the process of craft. Noon-4 Friday, 9-4 Saturday, 9-Noon, Sunday
- Boat Builders at Work: Herring Skiff Build: In partnership with CCHS, North House Folk School is building a replica herring skiff, based on an original boat design that has been selected as a good representation of the skiffs built and used in the area. 10am-4pm Fri-Sunday
- Wooden Boat Display: Wooden boat builders and enthusiasts from across the Midwest are invited to display their crafts on campus throughout the weekend. Friday-Saturday
- Family Drop-In Crafts: We’ll have craft supplies for all ages to join in the fun as we get creative on the theme of boats, water, and fish! Friday-Saturday
- Live Musical Performance: John C. Van Orman: Folk musician John C. Van Orman will sing a selection of traditional sea shanties, lyrical sailor songs, and nautical ballads. Friday, 5:30pm
- Sailing on Hjordis: The flagship of the Grand Marais Harbor, Hjørdis shares the name of the mythical Norse goddess of war. Take a trip on the flagship of the Grand Marais Harbor. More info: northhouse.org/sail
Date & Time
Weekly on Sunday, Friday, and Saturday
Jun 18, 2021 through Jun 20, 2021
12:00PM - 4:00PM
North House Folk School - Grand Marais, MN 500 W Highway 61 PO Box 759 Grand Marais 55604 MN US https://www.boreal.org/businesses/mn-grand-marais-north-house-folk-school