5th Ave W Project Start InformationMay 12, 2023 02:09PM ● By Editor
May 12, 2023 – The Cook County MN Highway Department mailed letters to 5th Avenue W residents in Grand Marais with important information about the upcoming reconstruction plans.
“As this road reconstruction project will impact the traffic flow for many in our community, as well as some visitors, we thought it would be appropriate to share with our local media,” said Robbie Hass, Cook County Highway Engineer. “We want to make sure we reach everyone impacted with this information.”
On May 10 the Cook County Highway Department held the 5th Ave W Reconstruction project meeting with the contractor, Ulland Bros, and various other county and city agencies. Here is a summary of what was discussed:
- May 22 will be the official start date of the project. Ulland Bros. will begin staging barricades, equipment, materials, conducting surveying/staking operations, etc. in the project corridor. Temporary watermain supplies will be staged in the first block, from Hwy 61 to 1st St.
- 5th Ave W will remain open through Memorial Weekend and no temporary hookups will be online. Tuesday May 30, 5th Ave W will be closed from Hwy 61 to 5th St starting at 7:00 a.m. and the first block of temporary hookups will begin.
- The project will consist of three phases. Phase 1 is from Hwy 61 to 1st St. Phase 2 will be 1st to 3rd St. Phase 3 will be from 3rd to 5th St. Streets crossing 5th Ave W will be open depending on the work being performed.
- A minimum 24-hour notice will be given as far as utility (water, sewer, etc.) outages are concerned.
- Schedule updates can be found in two locations: at the construction trailer in the overflow parking lot of the courthouse and online at www.co.cook.mn.us/government/departments/highway/projects.php
- There will be an overall schedule giving a general idea of planned activities and then a more specific bi-weekly schedule of detailed activities.
Jacob Backer will be representing the county for this project in the field and can be reached at 218-370-2322 or [email protected].
About Cook County, MN
Cook County encompasses the sovereign nation of the Grand Portage Band of Lake Superior Chippewa; the City of Grand Marais; the Townships of Lutsen, Tofte and Schroeder; and unincorporated areas in the easternmost part of Minnesota’s North Shore. Cook County Government values transparency and strives to deliver superior services and programs in a fiscally responsible way. We value the dignity of all County residents and seek to create a community that provides opportunity for all. Many of our offices are in the Cook County Courthouse at 411 W 2nd St, Grand Marais 55604. Other departments and facilities, such as the Airport, Community Center, Highway and Sheriff are located nearby. Call 218-387-3000 or visit: https://co.cook.mn.us