Cook County/Grand Marais EDA Announces Grants for Small Businesses Impacted by COVID-19Jul 30, 2020 11:56AM ● By Editor
The federal Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security (CARES) Act established a $150 billion Coronavirus Relief Fund for distribution to state and local government.
Minnesota was allocated $853 million, from which Cook County will receive $730,087.00. This funding must be used to support services and grants to businesses, hospitals and individuals impacted by the pandemic. Of the Cook County allocation, $200,000.00 will be used for grants to Cook County businesses to reimburse expenditures in response to COVID–19.
Cook County/Grand Marais EDA, Cook County Chamber of Commerce, and Northeast Minnesota Small Business Development Center will administer the grant program.
The grant program Application and Guidelines can be found on the EDA website at www.prosperitynorth.com under the tab “Programs & Projects”.
Guidelines to apply for a grant
For-and-Non-Profit businesses that employ fewer than 10 Full Time Equivalents (FTEs) are eligible to apply. To determine the number of FTEs add total hours worked by all employees in 2019 (full and part time) and divide by 2080.
- Cook County Public Health and Human Services is hosting a separate program for programmatic expenses for non-profit organizations providing social services.
- Preference will be given to those businesses that have applied for and not received COVID-19 grants or loans from federal and state governments.
- Grant requests must be between $500.00 and $2,500.00.
- Expenses must be in response to COVID-19. Business expenses including, but not limited to, such items as computers, software and other hi-tech goods, linens, protective gear, cleaning equipment, alterations to building structure and grounds, Plexiglass barriers, and new outdoor seating, as examples.
- Applications must include copies of invoices or receipts for expenditures that have already been incurred. If these expenditures are planned for future purchase, include cost estimates or quotes and timeline for purchase. If applications are approved for planned purchases, funds will be released when invoices and receipts are submitted.
- Lost Revenue
- Expenses for which you have received other reimbursement (“Double-Dipping” is not allowed)
- Property taxes
- Payroll Expense
Grant Program Timeline
Grant program announced and open for applications August 1, 2020
Applications must be received by EDA by 5:00 PM August 14, 2020
Grant awards announced August 31, 2020
All funds must be spent December 30, 2020
If there are funds remaining available after August 31, 2020 the Cook County CARES Task Force may announce a second round.
Contact for Questions
EDA Executive Director Mary Somnis [email protected] 218-387-3112