Skip to main content

Boreal Community Media

Structure Fire at Former Bait Shop, No Injuries Sustained

Dec 26, 2018 01:35PM ● By Editor
The former Smith's Bait Shop in Cook County was a complete loss after a Christmas Eve fire this week. Photo courtesy of Cook County Sheriff's Office.

Media release from Cook County - December 26, 2018

On the evening of Dec 24, at approximately 7:28 pm, the Cook County Sheriff’s Office, Minnesota State Patrol, GMFD, Colvill FD, and Maple Hill FD responded to a structure fire on E Hwy 61. Upon arrival, a small cabin in front of the house (at the former Smith’s Bait Shop) had flames shooting out of the chimney and the wall next to the chimney.  Seconds later the cabin was engulfed in fire.

Residents from the adjacent home were evacuated along with some pets. No injuries to responders or the public were recorded.

The property owner stated that the cabin was heated by a fuel oil furnace.  He first noticed the fire when it was coming out of the chimney and called 911.  Grand Marais, Colvill and Maple Hill Fire Departments responded to extinguish the fire. The heat from the cabin fire melted the siding of the main house but did not start on fire.

Nothing suspicious was noticed and the fire appears to be caused by a chimney fire. Responders cleared the scene just after 10 pm.

 Valerie Marasco, Director - Office of Emergency Management & Public Information - 218-387-3059, mobile 218-387-5366 or [email protected]
Boreal Ship Spotter - larger view here