Skip to main content

Boreal Community Media

Forest Service seeking committee members to advise on recreation site fees

Oct 26, 2018 09:39AM ● By Editor

Milwaukee, WI (October 9, 2018) – The U.S. Forest Service is seeking volunteer committee members to advise the agency on recreation fee changes at national forest sites throughout the northeastern United States. Vacancies exist for seven members and six “back-up” replacement positions on the Eastern Region Recreation Resource Advisory Committee. Committee members provide recommendations on new or changing recreation site fees for national forests and grasslands in 13 northeastern states. Committee members receive travel and per diem expenses for regularly scheduled meetings, but do not receive pay or other compensation.

Nominated committee members must represent one of the following interests:


·         Summer Motorized Recreation - Member and replacement

·         Winter Non-Motorized Recreation - Member

·         Hunting and Fishing - Member and replacement

·         Non- Motorized Outfitters and Guides - Member and replacement

·         State Tourism - Member and replacement

·         Local Government - Member and replacement

·         Indian Tribes - Member and replacement


Members will be appointed for three-year terms based on the following criteria:

·         Qualifications to represent the desired interest group

·         Rationale for committee service and desired contributions

·         Experience working successfully as part of a collaborative group

Nominees’ demonstrated ability to represent minorities, women and persons with disabilities will also be considered in membership selections. U.S. Department of Agriculture policies regarding equal opportunity will be followed.


The committee’s jurisdiction includes national forests in Minnesota, Missouri, Illinois, Wisconsin, Michigan, Indiana, Ohio, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, New York, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine.

Recreation use fees have been in place for many years and are charged at many recreation sites such as campgrounds, trailheads, day-use areas and boat ramps. Ninety-five percent of fees collected at these sites are returned to the local national forest or grassland to maintain and enhance the recreation sites.

 Interested individuals must complete an application and provide background information supporting their qualifications to represent at least one of the identified interest groups. Applications are available at Completed applications are due by January 18, 2019 and must be mailed to: USFS Region 9- Recreation RAC Nomination Attn: Jennifer Wright, 231 North Main Street, Rutland, VT 05701.

For more information, please visit or contact Joanna Wilson at 801-423-7724, mailto:[email protected]. The U.S. Forest Service is an agency of the U.S. Department of Agriculture, a mission of sustaining the health, diversity and productivity of the nation’s forests and grasslands to meet the needs of present and future generations. The Forest Service’s Eastern Region includes 20 states in the Midwest and East, stretching from Maine, to Maryland, to Missouri, to Minnesota. There are 17 national forests and one national tallgrass prairie in the Eastern Region. For more information, visit

The U.S. Forest Service manages 193 million acres of public land, provides assistance to state and private landowners, and maintains the largest forestry research organization in the world. Public lands the Forest Service manages contribute more than $13 billion to the economy each year through visitor spending alone. Those same lands provide 20 percent of the nation’s clean water supply, a value estimated at $7.2 billion per year. The agency has either a direct or indirect role in stewardship of about 80 percent of the 850 million forested acres within the U.S., of which 100 million acres are urban forests where most Americans live. For more information,


USDA is an equal opportunity provider, employer, and lender. To file a complaint of discrimination, write: USDA, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, Office of Adjudication, 1400 Independence Ave., SW, Washington, DC 20250-9410 or call (866) 632-9992 (Toll-free Customer Service), (800) 877-8339 (Local or Federal relay), (866) 377-8642 (Relay voice users).

Upcoming Events Near You
Boreal Ship Spotter - larger view here