Schedule of events for Lake Superior Storm Festival
Oct 21, 2018 07:31AM
● By Editor
Lake Superior Storm Festival is held annually along the icy shores of Lake Superior.
There’s nothing quite like a November gale — wind howling, icy waves lashing the rocks, a shiver of awe running down your spine. Treat yourself to a storm-season retreat before the bedlam of the holidays begins. This event honors the power and wild beauty of the Big Lake. Why not hop in the car and join us for the Lake Superior Storm Festival this year.
Events are free unless otherwise noted.
Watch our Superior storm season roll in on Lutsen Mountain’s new 360 degree, 24 hour web cam!
Friday, November 9th, 2018
- 6:30 pm | Storm into Winter Showcase at Stone Harbor Wilderness Supply | Get inspired by the latest clothing and outdoor gear for this winter’s activities. Join Stone Harbor Wilderness Supply, Joynes Ben Franklin, and Chelsea’s Aprons for the Fun, family friendly showcase. After the show, Stone Harbor will be offering 20% off until the store closes at 8.
- 7 – 8 pm | Small Change Call-In Trivia Radio Show on WTIP radio 90.7 FM. Try and answer these tricky Lake Superior and storm themed questions.
Saturday, November 10th, 2018
- 12 pm | Annual Wave Dash at Lutsen Resort. This is a bit like a Polar Plunge into Lake Superior but instead of jumping, you dash. Dashers get a special festival gift and can warm up afterwards with a roaring fire on the beach or even go in the Lutsen Resort hot tub. Suggested donation of $10 benefits the Cook County YMCA.
- 3 pm | Featured Speaker Liz Minor of Large Lakes Observatory | Lutsen Resort | Lake Superior Storm Stories: A Biogeochemist’s View. Storms transport water, sediment, nutrients, and other stuff (such as the tea-like organic matter that makes local rivers brown) into Lake Superior. This talk will describe what we know about what is in storm plumes and how these plumes affect plants and animals in Lake Superior. Examples will include the Solstice Flood (June 2012) and the Wisconsin storm of July 2016, two recent “500-year” flood events.
- 4 pm | Storms, Shipwrecks and Sinkings Along the North Shore | Presentation by Stephen B. Daniel and Jim Shinners at Johnson Heritage Post.
Sunday, November 11th, 2018
- 10 am | Lakeside Poem and Remembrance Ceremony with Jim Shinners, Artist Point.