For Information about County Disposal Permits Contact:
Gunflint Ranger Station 218-387-1750
- Trail Center 218-388-2214
- Seagull Guard Station 218-388-2215
- Gunflint Pines Resort 218-388-4454
Cook County Brush/Debris Disposal Sites:
Disposal sites are for the disposal of slash and debris materials ONLY. Stumps and other items may NOT be disposed of at these sites. You will need to haul other items to the transfer stations in Cook County or contact one of the Disposal Service Vendors.
Pederson’s Disposal: transfer station located at 72 Eliasen Mill Road in Grand Marais, just east of Superior Lumber on Highway 61. They accept almost all materials except liquids, hazardous materials and animal or human waste of any kind. Hours of operation are Monday – Friday from 10am – 5pm and Saturday from 10am – 2pm, closed on Sundays and all major and national holidays.
Web Site: Pederson Disposal
Cook County Transfer Station: transfer station located at 198 Sawbill Trail in Tofte, approximately one mile up on the right side of the road, just past the County Highway Garage. They accept almost all materials except liquids, hazardous materials and animal or human waste of any kind.
Open Tuesdays from 9am – 3pm and Saturdays from 8am – 2pm.
Nelson’s Machine Products: business located at 6875 W Highway 61 in Tofte. Waste Disposal Service, roll-off containers, commercial & residential collection, licensed in Cook & Lake Counties.
**This requires a free of charge permit that can be obtained at either the Forest Service office in
Grand Marais or at Trail Center. The Forest Service office is open M-F, 800-430 and our phone number is
218-387-1750. This is for brush only, no stumps or building debris.
- Ball Club Road Pit (aka Airport Pit; maintained by the Devil Track Lake Association & Maple Hill Volunteer Fire
Department): 1 mile past the Cook County Grand Marais Airport, turn right on Ball Club Road (where the
road splits into a Y), approximately 1/2 mile on Ball Club Road on the right hand side.
- Big Bay Point Pit (State DNR Site): approximately 21 1/2 miles east of Grand Marais (east side of
Hovland) on the left side of Highway 61 across from the Big Bay Point Road, travel up approximately 200 ft,
stay to the left of the road where it splits. The Big Bay Point Pit will be closed and gated until
- Caribou Lake Pit (maintained by the Caribou Lake Association): approximately 5 miles up the Caribou
Trail in Lutsen, take left directly across from the Evergreen Road.
- Pike Lake Pit (aka Byholm Pit; maintained by the Pike Lake Association): approximately 5 miles on
County Road 7 from the Cook County North Shore Hospital to County Road 45, follow CR 45 to CR 43 onto N Pike
Lake Road. From Highway 61 West side, take CR 7 up approximately 2 miles to CR 45, follow to CR 43 onto N
Pike Lake Road.
- Grand Marais Pit (maintained by the City of Grand Marais): Located at the Water
Tower on the Gunflint Trail. From the Cook County North Shore Hospital, travel up the Old Gunflint Trail to the
stop sign, take a left and then approximately 1/2 mile up, turn left at the Water Tower. From the East Side
of Grand Marais, follow the new Gunflint Trail to the Water Tower (approximately 1 1/2 miles) and turn left.
- **East Bearskin Road Pit: approximately 24 miles up the Gunflint Trail, turn onto E Bearskin Road
and first road on the left hand side.
- Cross River Pit (maintained by Cook County): located approximately 49 miles up the Gunflint Trail,
on the left past N Gunflint Lake Road but before Gunflint Narrows Road (should be the only road on the left
side of the trail).