- In the "Connect To" screen make sure your username is spelled correctly.
- Make sure that you entered your username in all lowercase letters.
- Just your username...not email@example.com...that's your e-mail address!
- Check to make sure that your Caps Lock key is not on.
- Make sure that you spelled your password correctly.
- Remember...usernames and passwords are ALWAYS case sensitive. The password Rover29 and rover29 are not the same...What?? you don't use your pets name as your password?
- Check the Phone Number. It should read 3879555 or 387-9555. If it has 1-218...or any other area code, it won't work...unless you're calling long distance. To remove the area code permanently:
- Win95/98- Click the "Dial Properties..." button and put 218 in the "Area Code:" box. Click OK.
- Windows 2000/XP- Click the "Properties" button, then click the "Rules" or "Dialing Rules" button. Click "Edit" and put 218 in the "Area Code" box. Click OK, OK, OK.
- If you have Windows XP - From the Start menu, select "Connect", "Show All Connections", or select "Control Panel" and double-click the "Network Connections" icon. In the window that appears, right-click on the Boreal dial-up connection and select Properties. Click on the Options tab and make sure that Include Windows logon domain is unchecked. If you're still having problems, try going back to the same Properties window, clicking on the Advanced tab, and unchecking the line that says "Protect my computer and network by limiting...".
- If you are using an external modem, make sure that it is turned on and the phone line is connected. Try turning the modem off and back on again.
- If you're using an internal modem make sure the phone line is plugged in.
- With any modem make sure the phone line is plugged into the "Line" or "Telco" port...not the "Phone" port. The "Phone" port is for plugging in a regular phone.
- Make sure you have a dial tone on the line that is plugged into the computer. If you have a phone connected to your computer, lift up the receiver and listen for a dial tone. If not, try unplugging the phone line from your computer, plugging it into a regular phone, and listening for a dial tone. Be sure you plug the phone line back into your computer when you're done!
- Some settings may have changed or not been installed correctly. Try reinstalling your modem.
- Did this start after a thunderstorm went through the area? A lightning strike may have caused a power surge on your phone line that burned out the modem, even if you're using a surge protector. If this is the case you'll need to replace the modem. Boreal carries modems for desktop computers.
West County Road 7
Recent Arrivals: Cape May Warbler, Palm Warbler, Ovenbird, Black-throated Green Warbler.