Around Cook County
Gardening has changed over the years. Growing food used to be our main objective, but there's been a resurgence of gardening on a smaller scale. Fairy gardens, shell gardens, Bonsai, tabletop fountains, terrariums and train gardens are becoming more popular across Minnesota.
The U of M Extension Master Gardeners are offering the following programs on Saturday, June 7, for both adults and children 10 years and older. Please register by Friday, May 30 by calling the Cook County Extension office at 218-387-3015.
Birch Grove Seniors are planning two 15-passenger mini-bus trips to the Keweenaw and Bayfield Peninsulas for Cook County seniors and guests. The trip costs $425 per person and includes bus transportation, five nights double occupancy lodging in lovely lakeside hotels, five Continental breakfasts, and a ticket for the Madeline Island Ferry. Lunches, dinners and sightseeing will be purchased by the travelers. Single or triple occupancy rates may be available.
The trip will take travelers from Tofte to Hancock, Michigan, on a tour of the Keweenaw Peninsula, to Ashland, Wisconsin, to Madeline Island via ferry, and to Bayfield. In Bayfield, travelers will visit orchards and wineries.
The late September trip is already filled up, and there is a good start on filling up another bus for September 14-19. There is a wait list for both trips. Call Patty at 370-2560 or firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve your trip or to ask questions.
The Birch Grove seniors will be selling root beer floats at the Tofte 4th of July to help pay for extra costs of the trip.
The filing period to run for county offices in 2014 is open until Tuesday, June 3. Another citizen entered the Cook County commissioner’s race today.
In Commissioner District 5, incumbent Bruce Martinson was the only candidate that had filed last week. Today, Tim Goettl of Lutsen filed to run against Martinson. Goettl is a Lutsen township supervisor.
The incumbent commissioner in District 3, Sue Hakes, has announced that she is not running for reelection. Jan Sivertson of Grand Marais has filed for that office and as of May 27 is unopposed.
In Commissioner District 1, five candidates have filed, John W. Bockovich, Steve Fleace, Harry Drabik, all of Hovland and Frank Moe and Jerry Hiniker of Colvill. At the county board meeting today, May 27, incumbent Janice Hall confirmed that she would not be filing for reelection.
Two other county officials, Auditor-Treasurer Braidy Powers and Recorder Dusty Nelms have both filed for reelection are unopposed.
Molly Hicken, who has been fulfilling county attorney duties since County Attorney Tim Scannell went on medical leave on October 13, 2013, is running for that office.
There are two positions up for election on the Cook County Soil & Water District. Nancye Belding has filed for S&W District 3. As I mentioned earlier, no one has filed yet for the S&W District 4 seat.
The City of Grand Marais, the Cook County North Shore Hospital District and School District 166 have a different election filing period. Candidates for those offices must file between July 29 - August 12.
Candidates can find guides for filing for office and more information at the Cook County Auditor’s office.
Fisheries staff from the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR) Grand Marais area office will conduct surveys and assessments on several area lakes and streams during the next few months.
Waters scheduled for surveys or assessments (by week) include:
* June 2 - Sundling Creek, Pine Lake (near Kemo; splake special assessment), Tomash Lake
* June 9 - Sundling Creek, Rudy Lake, Ruby Lake, Logger Lake, Woodpecker Lake
* June 16 - Caribou Lake (near Lutsen; smallmouth bass assessment), Little Portage Lake, Pine Lake (near Kemo), Sled Lake
* June 23 - Greenwood Lake (smallmouth bass assessment), Clearwater Lake (smallmouth bass assessment), Pit Lake, Stony Lake
· June 30 - Woods Creek (habitat survey), Mark Creek (habitat survey), Swamp River (beaver dam inventory)
* July 7 - Otter Lake, Crescent Lake, Bouder Lake
* July 14 - Crescent Lake, Binagami Lake, Crooked Lake
* July 21 - Caribou Lake (near Lutsen), Clearwater Lake, Devil Track Lake (walleye reproduction check), Mud Creek
* July 28 - Clearwater Lake, Sundling Creek, Sawbill Creek, Swanson Creek
* Aug. 4 - Sundling Creek, Irish creek, Junco Creek, Saganaga Lake, Flute Reed River, Kadunce Creek
* Aug. 11 - Onion River, Cascade River, Kimball Creek, Devil Track River, Saganaga Lake
* Aug. 18 - Saganaga Lake, Swan Lake
* Aug. 25 - Saganaga Lake, Swamp River, Loft Lake (habitat survey)
* Sept. 1 - Prune Lake, Echo Lake
* Sept. 8 - Moose lake, Loft Lake (fish population assessment)
* Sept. 15 - Kraut Lake, Trip Lake, Squash Lake
* Sept. 22 - Chester Lake, Trout Lake (yellow perch assessment), Unnamed Lake
* Sept. 29 - Thrush Lake (brook trout special assessment)
* Oct. 6 - North Shady Lake
The annual Volunteer Appreciation Brunch at the North Shore Care Center will be Wednesday, May 28 at 10 a.m. The residents and staff want to acknowledge more than 70 volunteers who shared their time and talents during 2013. Volunteers are truly shining stars—enriching the lives of older adults and keeping them connected to the community. Thanks for all that you do!
For more information about volunteer opportunities at North Shore Care Center, please contact the Activity Department at 218.3518 or visit the website: http://www.nshorehospital.com.