Help!!! I have a virus - what do I do?
- Don't panic! Most viruses can be dealt with fairly easily, before they do major damage.
- Stay offline. If you go online, you run the risk of sending the virus out. Many modern viruses will also open your computer up to hackers while you're online.
- Make sure you have the latest virus definitions for your anti-virus software. If you don't, contact the Boreal office - we may be able to provide them to you so you won't need to go online for them. If you don't have anti-virus software, get some, install it, and download the latest virus definitions for it.
- Run a virus scan and repair, quarantine, or delete infected files. NOTE: If a file cannot be repaired, it's usually safe to quarantine or delete it.
- If this doesn't work, contact Boreal. Some viruses need special tools to be cleaned up, or you may need to manually edit or delete some files.