What are the rules for posting Classified Ads?
Boreal Classified Ads are a free service provided for our members, but we do ask that you follow certain rules when posting an ad. These rules are mostly common-sense and common courtesy, and are similar to the rules for our mailing lists.
Ads which violate these rules will be removed. The Boreal staff and board are solely responsible for determining whether a particular ad violates the rules and needs to be removed. The Boreal staff and board reserve the right to remove any ad which is deemed inappropriate, even if it does not, on the surface, appear to violate any of these rules. The Boreal staff and board reserve the right to change ads to bring them into compliance with the rules - for example to move them to the proper category.
And here they are:
- Be sure to post your ad in the right category. Categories are:
- Events and Meetings: Announce upcoming events or meetings. Please note that an event hosted by a business is considered a commercial event and should be posted under Business Ads.
- Public Service Announcements: Public service announcements such as school closings, power outages, etc.
- Help Wanted: Job openings, temporary or permanent, commercial or personal
- Animals: Information about animals - for example, lost pets or pets that need a new home.
- Business Ads: Advertisements of goods, services, or events provided by your business. ALL business-related ads (except help-wanted ads) must go under this category.
- Rides Needed/Available: Ask for a ride or offer one if you're already going somewhere and have an empty seat.
- Vehicles for Sale: Cars, trucks, ATVs, snowmobiles, motorcycles, etc. for sale. Personal vehicles only - if you're in business selling vehicles please post that under Business ads.
- Miscellaneous Items for Sale: Anything that you're selling personally, that doesn't fit into one of the other categories. If the item you're selling is something you acquired specifically for the purpose of selling it please post it to Business Ads instead of Miscellaneous Items for Sale. Exception: If you're selling it to benefit a non-profit or charitable organization, you may post it here.
Garage Sales: Announcements for rummage sales.NOTE: Please use the Garage Sales area to post your garage sale.
- Rentals Needed/Available: If you're looking for a place to rent or have personal property available for rent, post it here. Note that this is meant for long-term rentals, not for hospitality rentals such as hotel rooms. If you have space at your hotel, motel, resort or B&B please do NOT post it here - post it under Business Ads instead.
- Giveaway Items: One man's junk is another man's treasure! Anything that you'd like to give away, that someone else might want.
- Wanted to Buy: Anything that you are looking for that someone else might be willing to sell you.
- Lost and Found: Items you've lost or found.
If there's another category you'd like to see here, please let us know!
- Ads stating personal opinion, such as political announcements, religious statements, etc. are prohibited. You may post political or religious events, but may not include anything beyond an announcement of the event. For example, you may state something like "A political rally is being held at such and such a time and place", but may not include your opinion of the lawmakers you're rallying for or against.
- Be courteous, polite and respectful. Personal attacks, name-calling, profanity and threats will not be tolerated.
- Do not post material, either text or photos, which may be considered offensive by those viewing the ads.
- Only Boreal members may post ads. Do not post ads for someone else. The ads are a service which you're paying for with your Boreal membership, and it's not fair to the other paying members to post ads for someone who has not paid for this service.
- The Classifieds are intended to be a community service. Please keep your postings community-minded - for example do not use the ads to promote business interests which are owned and run outside the community. Do not post spam to the ads.
- You must use your real name and email address.
- Never re-post a personal email message that you have received. If there is pertinent information in a private email message that you wish to have people read, then post only that portion, and only after you have received the explicit permission of the author of the message
- Do not type your entire ad in capital letters. It implies that you are shouting and is considered rude. Besides...it is much harder to read.
- You may post as many ads as you like, but don't post the same ad more than once within a 30-day period. (An ad reminding people of a previous ad is considered a duplicate of the original ad.) Do not delete and re-post the same ad in order to keep it on the home page. If Boreal detects this going on we will remove the ad.
- If you have multiple items to sell or events to announce, please post them all in one ad - do not post one ad for each item. Also, if you need to modify or provide additional information for an ad, please update the existing ad - do not post a new ad with the additional or modified information.
- If you need to provide more information on an ad you've posted (for example, to announce that an item is sold) please DO NOT POST A SECOND AD. Please update your original ad with the new information, using the instructions on this page.
- You don't need to put your name, phone number, or email address in the description of the ad - it will be displayed below the ad.
- Please remove your old ads.