Propane supplies are limited, pricing is on the rise and some North Shore residents are being faced with tough heating decisions.
Governor Mark Dayton has declared a Peacetime State of Emergency in Minnesota in response to a severe shortage of propane and other home heating fuel supplies statewide. The full order, Emergency Executive Order 14-02, can be found at http://www.mn.gov/governor/images/EO-14-02.pdf
People are also being asked to:
- Conserve energy as much as possible. Turn down thermostats.
- If you think you might run out of fuel, plan ahead where you will go.
- Check on your neighbors, especially the sick or elderly.
- Be extremely cautious if you are using auxiliary heat sources.
- Check on the availability of assistance before a crisis occurs by calling our area Arrowhead Economic Opportunity Agency (AEOA): 1-800-662-5711
How are you being affected by this situation? What are you doing to cope? Do you have any ideas on what we as a county and we as citizens can do to help alleviate the situation? Please post your comments and ideas here.
Also, Thursday, February 6 at 7 pm WTIP’s Jay Andersen joined emergency and heating specialists to help you understand the crisis and your options for dealing with it. You can listen to the broadcast by clicking here.