Public Service Announcements
A huge thank you to all who attended last week's Empty Bowls event and all those who helped make it a great success through donations and/or volunteering. Thank you all for rallying to support hunger programs in Cook County!
Special thanks to:
Bowls and Pendants:
Grand Marais Art Colony, Make-a-Bowl and Paint-a-Bowl Participants, Mary MacDonald and her ISD 166 students
Delicious Soup Donated by:
Blue Water Cafe, Bluefin Bay, Cascade Restaurant, Cook County Whole Foods Co-op, Dockside Fish Market, Gunflint Tavern, Harbor House Grille, Lutsen Resort, Moguls Bar and Grille, My Sister's Place, Naniboujou Lodge, Papa Charlie's, South of the Border Café, Sven and Ole's, Trail Center
Yummy bread donated by:
Birch Grove Hobbits, Chicago Bay Marketplace, Coho Cafe, Holiday Stationstore, Johnson's Foods, North House Folk School, North Shore Market/Tofte General Store
Fabulous Desserts donated by:
Cook County Community Members and Lola's Sweet Life Bakery
CONTACT: Empty Bowls 2014
DATE: 11/17/2014 09:42am
Memorial Blood Center has sent out notification to hospitals requesting assistance in finding B negative blood donors:
“Currently the St. Paul and Duluth Hospital Services has less than a 2 day supply. We do have enough on hand to supply any STAT orders from hospitals.
We are calling in all B (neg) donors and have messaging out on social media.”
If your blood type is B negative, please consider donating a unit of blood. And if you happen to know anyone that is B negative, please share with them the urgent need for their blood type. You may contact Memorial Blood Center if you have questions or would like to find out options for donation sites: 1-888-GIVE-BLD (888-448-3253) or http://www.mbc.org/Donate-Blood/Donate-Blood-Locations.
CONTACT: Michele Starkey
DATE: 11/14/2014 04:20pm
The Gunflint Hills Solar System has produced 19,800 kWh, saved the City of Grand Marais $2,300 and reduced CO2 emissions by 19.8 tons.
CONTACT: Virginia Danfelt
DATE: 11/12/2014 04:33pm
I am researching the history of Grand Marais and I would like to find pictures
I would like to find pictures of the following:
1. Peterson Drug Store in 1950s. located where Chuck’s barber shop is now
2. A&W Drive-in - during 1950s & 60s. Located where Post Office is now
3. Sears Catalog Store - located where current Post office is now.
4. Tourist Information Building - late 1960s early 1970s - located on highway 61 across from Cobblestone
5. Ward Catalog Store - located across from Senior Center
6. Shold Shoe Shop - late 12920s and early 1930 - located where South of the Border Cafe is now.
7. Webb Gas Station - 1950s - located where Como Oil is now.
8. Spur Gas Station- 1960s - located where Como Oil is now.
9. Gene Doody’s Carpet Store front - Late 197i0s and early 1980s - located where News-Herald is now.
10. Hardware Store - 1990s - located across from Senior center
11. Webb Gas station - 1950s or 1960s - located where Java Moose is now
12. Tidal Gas Station - 1930s - located where new Tourism office is now
CONTACT: Gene Glader
DATE: 11/11/2014 04:25pm
Come to the Cook County History Museum to visit the new exhibit "By Way of Water: Our History with Lake Superior." The Museum, as always, is free and open to the public. TODAY - FREE APPLE CIDER and COOKIES!
Located at 8 South Broadway - Grand Maraias. Open 10 am - 2 pm.
CONTACT: Cook County Historical Society
DATE: 11/08/2014 09:28am
Local apple project looking for horse or cow manure. The CC Extension office is involved in an apple reserach project over the next couple of years and we are looking for a source of free to low-cost horse or cow manure. If you can help, please give Diane a call at 218-387-3015. Thank you very much!
CONTACT: Diane Booth
DATE: 11/07/2014 02:08pm