Resolving problems with Netscape
- I get "Host does not have a DNS entry" or "not found" messages.
- Check to see that you are actually logged into Boreal. Bring up the Connection icon...is the clock ticking? Your connection may have been dropped, so just dial in again.
- Try to connect to a totally different site. It's possible that the site
you were trying to reach is down or you may have incorrectly typed the address.
- Try the link again, and it may work the second time.
- Do you have firewall software, such as ZoneAlarm, Norton Personal Firewall,
or McAfee Personal Firewall? Check to make sure it hasn't been configured
to block all communication. Try disabling it and see if that fixes the problem
- Check your computer for viruses or
- How do I keep from going to Netscape's Home Page or Ask Jeeves every time I start my browser?
- For Navigator -
- Go to [Options], [General Preferences], [Appearance]. In the Startup area select Netscape Browser and Blank Page. Remove any text in the field box below Blank Page. Click OK at the bottom of the page.
- If you would like have your browser go to a specific page put the URL in the field below the Blank Page. Make sure you remove the check from Blank Page.
- Note: On older versions of Netscape...pre 3.0, after you have done the above, be sure to go back to the Options menu and select Save Options.
- For Communicator and Netscape 6 and above -
- Go to [Edit], [Preferences]. On the left side of the screen that comes up, click on Navigator.
Some options will appear on the right side of the screen.
- If you don't want any page to appear when you start Netscape Navigator, click
on [Blank Page] on this screen. The circle next to this option will be filled in. Then click OK at the bottom of the page.
- If you would like have your browser go to a specific page, look for a field called
"Location" in the "Home Page" section. Put the URL of your desired home page
in this field (ex www.boreal.org), and click OK at the bottom of the page.
- Setting up E-mail in Netscape
This information has been moved and is now under
How to manually set up your email.
- I used to be able to start Netscape and the Boreal connect screen would magically appear...now it won't. How do I fix it?
- Well first of all it's a good idea to create a shortcut to the Boreal Dialer and put it on your desktop. Then whenever you want to connect to Boreal you first start the Dialer, connect and then launch what ever program you want to use.
That being said, here's how to bring back your auto startup.
Go to [Start], [Settings], [Control Panel] and find the icon shaped like a globe called [Internet Options] and double-click it. At the top of the page click the [Connections] tab and make sure there is a check in the box
next to the "Always dial my default connection" line. Click the OK button at the bottom of the page. If the box was already checked then uncheck it, click OK, reboot your computer, go back and put the check back in and click OK again.