Resolving problems with Microsoft Internet Explorer
- I get "Internet Explorer cannot open the internet site: http://whatever.com/",
or "Page cannot be displayed".
- Check to see that you are actually logged into Boreal. Bring up the Connection icon...is the clock ticking? Your connection may have been dropped, so just dial in again.
- Try to connect to a totally different site. It's possible that the site
you were trying to reach is down or you may have incorrectly typed the address.
- Try the link again, and it may work the second time.
- Do you have firewall software, such as ZoneAlarm, Norton Personal Firewall,
or McAfee Personal Firewall? Check to make sure it hasn't been configured
to block all communication. Try disabling it and see if that fixes the problem
- Check your computer for viruses or
- How do I keep from going to Microsoft's Home Page or Ask Jeeves every time I start
- Click on [Tools],[Internet Options].
- In the [Address:] box at the top of the screen, type in the URL you'd like to go to
when you start your browser, such as www.boreal.org or www.google.com.
- If you'd rather start on a blank page, click the [Use Blank] button.
- Click OK. That's it! One thing to remember - sometimes you may still get a Microsoft page when
you fire up your browser. That's because Internet Explorer automatically checks to see if there is
an update available, and, if there is, it takes you to a page you can download the update from.
- I used to be able to start Internet Explorer and the Boreal connect screen would magically appear...now it won't. How do I fix it?
- Well first of all it's a good idea to create a shortcut to the Boreal Dialer and put it on your desktop. Then whenever you want to connect to Boreal you first start the Dialer, connect and then launch what ever program you want to use.
That being said, here's how to bring back your auto startup.
Go to [Start], [Settings], [Control Panel] and find the icon shaped like a globe called [Internet Options] and double-click it. At the top of the page click the [Connections] tab and make sure there is a check in the box
next to the "Always dial my default connection" line. Click the OK button at the bottom of the page. If the box was already checked then uncheck it, click OK, reboot your computer, go back and put the check back in and click OK again.