Winter Storm Jaxon to effect southern MN and northern WI
Jan 22, 2018 07:02AM ● Published by Editor
From the Weather Channel - January 22, 2018
Winter Weather Alerts
Blizzard warnings have been hoisted by the National Weather Service from northeastern Colorado and northwestern Kansas northeastward into Nebraska, northwestern Iowa, far southeastern South Dakota and southwestern Minnesota. Those blizzard warnings include Goodland, Kansas; North Platte, Nebraska; Sioux City, Iowa; and Mankato, Minnesota.
Significant reductions in visibility from blowing and drifting snow will create dangerous driving conditions in those areas. The blizzard warnings include sections of Interstate 70, Interstate 80, Interstate 90 and Interstate 29.
Winter storm warnings and winter weather advisories extend across a broader swath from the Rockies into the upper Midwest and northern Great Lakes. Denver and Minneapolis/St. Paul are among the locations under winter storm warnings for Jaxon.
Treacherous travel conditions from snow and wind will also impact these locations, even though they are not under a blizzard warning.
Winter Weather Alerts
Watches, warnings and advisories are issued by the National Weather Service.
- Heavy snow and winds gusting 30 to 50 mph will affect parts of northern Kansas, eastern Nebraska, northwestern Iowa, southeastern South Dakota, southern Minnesota, northern Wisconsin and northern Michigan.
- Blizzard conditions are possible from parts of Nebraska northeastward into southwestern Minnesota.
- A thin band of sleet or freezing rain is possible along the southern end of the snow from northern Iowa to Michigan.
- With warmer air pulled northward ahead of the storm, rain is possible as far north as the southern Great Lakes.
- Snow, sleet or freezing rain will also spread into parts of northern New York state and mainly northern New England.
- Monday night, heavy snow may continue in the northern Great Lakes, and snow, sleet or freezing rain may pick up in upstate New York and northern New England.
- Rain may change to a brief period of snow Monday night in southern Wisconsin, northern Illinois and northern Indiana, including Chicago and Milwaukee.